Welcome to Sainte-Marie among the Hurons
Ontario’s first European Community, Sainte-Marie was the headquarters for the French Jesuit Mission to the Huron-Wendat people. In 1639, the Jesuits, along with French lay workers, began construction of a palisaded community that included barracks, a church, workshops, residences, and a sheltered area for Indigenous visitors. By 1648, Sainte-Marie was home to 66 French men — one-fifth of the entire population of New France. Sainte-Marie’s history ended in 1649, when members of the mission community were forced to abandon and burn their home of ten years.